Race-conscious and colorblind framings: Converging and Diverging trends in Europe and the Americas
22-23 June, 2017
Sciences Po, CERI, 56, rue Jacob 75006 Paris
22 June 2017
10:00 - 12:30: EVOLUTION OF CONCEPTUALIZATIONS OF RACE AND RACISM
Discussant: Graziella MORAES SILVA (Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies)
• Magali BESSONE (Université de Rennes 1), “Race Travels”
• John SOLOMOS (University of Warwick), “Conceptualising 21st Century Racisms: Shifting Paradigms and Perspectives“
• Joan FUJIMURA (University of Wisconsin-Madison), "Current Debates about ’Race’ in the US in the Age of Genomics"
• Miri SONG (University of Kent), “The Challenges of ‘Mixed Race’ for the Study of Racisms”
02:00 – 04:00: CIRCULATION OF INTERNATIONAL STANDARDS IN LAWS AND CATEGORIZATION
Discussant : Elisabeth CUNIN (IRD, URMIS)
• Mara LOVEMAN (UC Berkley), "The Evolution of International Standards for the Classification of Human Diversity in National Statistics"
• Debra THOMPSON (Northwestern University), “The Multicultural Moment: Norm Diffusion in Census Politics”
• Christopher MCCRUDDEN (Queen’s University), "When and why do national courts use international equality norms?"
04:30 – 06:30: NATIONAL PRODUCTION OF RACIAL CLASSIFICATIONS
Discussant: Paul SCHOR (Université Paris VII)
• Wendy ROTH (University of British Columbia), “The evolution and limitations of racial statistics in the United States”
• Edward TELLES (Princeton University), “Ethnoracial Classifications and Skin Tone in Latin America“
• Patrick SIMON (INED), “Race and ethnicity in European statistics: are proxys a solution or the problem?”
23 June 2017
10:00 – 12:35: CHANGES IN ANTIDISCRIMINATION POLICIES
Discussant: Daniel SABBAGH (Sciences Po, CERI)
• Tanya HERNANDEZ (Fordham University), “Race and Law in Latin America”
• John SKRENTNY (UC San Diego), “The Rise of Racial Realism: Strategic Management of Difference in the Workplace and a Possible Global Convergence”
• Julie RINGELHEIM (FNRS, Université de Louvain), “The future of antidiscrimination law in Europe: the challenge of effectiveness”
• Colleen SHEPPARD (McGill University), “Recognizing Systemic Racism: Shifting Paradigms of Anti-Discrimination Regulation in Canada”
02:00 – 04:30: PUBLIC DEBATES AND CONTROVERSIES ON RACE IN DIFFERENT NATIONAL CONTEXTS
Discussant: Sarah MAZOUZ (INED)
• Alana LENTIN (Western Sydney University) “Not racism: white crisis and the postracial denial of race”
• Graziella MORAES SILVA (Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies), “Affirmative Action in Brazil: emerging dispute over racial categories in ‘validation commissions’”
• Nasar MEER (University of Strathclyde), "Race equality in the UK and Brexit"
Conference June 2017